TripAdvisor®, the travel planning and booking site, today announced the winners of its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for destinations, recognising travellers’ favourite places around the world. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, restaurants and attractions in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period, as well as traveller booking interest on TripAdvisor.
In the South Pacific, Sydney was named the top destination, and the city also took the 24th place in the World list.
“These Travellers’ Choice Destinations are award-winning because they are beloved by our global TripAdvisor community and are ranked based on feedback and booking interest across a 12-month period,” said TripAdvisor’s Director of Communications, Asia Pacific, Janice Lee Fang. “Aussies who are planning to escape the cooler months of the year should consider booking their hotels on TripAdvisor now as there are great reasons to visit and explore these destinations in April.”
NSW Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events, The Hon. Stuart Ayres commented on Sydney’s leading position on the Australia list, “Whether visitors are exploring Sydney for the first time or returning to enjoy the city’s new experiences, we are excited to showcase Sydney’s stunning beaches, fantastic food and wine scene and surrounding NSW regions to TripAdvisor travellers.”
Gold Coast Tourism, who is celebrating their newly established top 10 position on the Australia list commented, “We are thrilled that the Gold Coast has been recognised by the global TripAdvisor community in the 2016 Travellers’ Choice Destination awards,” said Gold Coast Tourism Chief Executive Officer, Martin Winter.
“It is a fantastic achievement for our city and a tribute to the great work of our local accommodation providers, tourism attractions and restaurants who deliver excellent customer service and have helped position the Gold Coast second in the Top 10 destinations in Australia,” he said.
TripAdvisor has also identified top-rated hotels and information on upcoming events and attractions to provide guidance on best times to visit and offer travellers more insights about great things to discover in these award-winning destinations.
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Destinations – World:
(+/- denotes change in ranking year-over-year, destinations with no change are marked accordingly)
- London, United Kingdom (+5) TripAdvisor average nightly rate1 of all bookable hotels in London: $285
One of the world’s most admired destinations, London showcases the perfection collision of history with modern art, fashion, food, and good British ale. A perfect day is different for all types of travellers: culture hounds should hit the Tate Modern and the Royal Opera House. For foodies, try cream tea at Harrods or visit the Urban Food Festival in East London, which occurs every Saturday from noon until midnight. Or a must for music buffs is a wander down Abbey Road.
- Istanbul*, Turkey (+1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Istanbul: $128
The mosques, bazaars, and Turkish baths of Istanbul could keep travellers in awe of their magnificence and beauty for their entire trip. Many travellers recommend kicking the trip off with the inspiring Sultan Ahmet Camii (Blue Mosque), which is visible from many view points of the city. Be sure to book your trip in March or April for an opportunity to visit Istanbul’s Tulip Festival.
- Marrakech, Morocco (-2) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Marrakech: $146
The “Red City” of Marrakech is a magical place, brimming with marketplaces, gardens, palaces, and mosques. Exploring the intimate courtyards and plethora of alleyways of the historic Medina can easily eat up a day. Find inner peace at the serene Jardin Majorelle or take in the beauty of one of the city’s historic mosques. If travelling during April, visit the Alwan’Art, an international festival of street performance, featuring acrobats, circus acts and dance crews.
- Paris, France (+5) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Paris: $236
Titled the ‘City of Love’ for its sheer beauty and love encapsulating essence, Paris is arguably the world’s leading tourism destination. The city encompassed with centuries of cultural and political development has brought Paris to host some of the world’s most recognised museums, theatres, monuments and architectural style. Reason to book now: Musical Fountains Show at the Palace of Versailles, March 25 – October 30, 2016.
- Siem Reap, Cambodia (-3) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Siem Reap: $101
Cambodia, and in particular Siem Reap, has become a hugely popular destination over the past two decades, as the country emerged from war and internal conflict and invested in restoring Angkor Wat. Its recommended travellers should invest in either a lesson in national history at the Cambodian Cultural Village, or a lesson in bargaining at the Angkor Night Market, a bonanza of shopping stalls, food vendors, and bars. If travelling in April, visitors will be immersed in the Khmer New Year celebrations, April 13 – 16, 2016.
- Prague, Czech Republic (-1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Prague: $122
The bohemian allure and fairy-tale features of Prague make it a perfect destination for travellers who want to immerse themselves in culture. Travellers could devote an entire day to exploring Prazsky hrad (Prague Castle), then refuelling over a hearty dinner at a classic Czech taverna. Be sure to visit the city from late February to early April and visit the St. Matthew’s Fair.
- Rome, Italy (no YoY change) TripAdvisor Average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Rome: $185
Reflecting the look and feel of a giant outdoor museum, the city of Rome is reminiscent of a real-life collage of piazzas, open-air markets, and mind-boggling historic sites. Toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain, have a jaw-dropping moment at the Colosseum and the Pantheon, and fuel up on gelato for an afternoon of shopping at the Campo de’Fiori or Via Veneto. Be amongst the festivities and organise your visit for April 21st for Rome’s birthday celebrations, Festa Natale di Roma.
- Hanoi, Vietnam (-4) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Hanoi: $114
Vietnam’s historic and cultural capital Hanoi once known for its French colonial architecture, is forging a contemporary path with travellers choosing the spot as a must visit destination more frequently year on year. Many ancient architectural features are still preserved in the Red River Delta locality, particularly in the fascinating Old Quarter streets. Visit on June 9 and travellers can embrace the country’s Summer Solstice Day (Tet Doan Ngo).
- New York City, U.S. (+2) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in New York City: $454
The “City That Never Sleeps” is home to thousands of world-class hotels, B&Bs, restaurants and attractions, making it an ideal destination for travellers from all walks of life. To get an inside look at the magnificentMetropolitan Museum of Art before it opens to the public each day, travellers can book the early morningEmptyMet Tour on TripAdvisor. One of the country’s most iconic department stores, Macy’s, hosts the Macy’s Flower Show “America the Beautiful,” in Macy’s Herald Square, and is certainly a must for travellers visiting March 20 – April 3.
Ubud (Bali), Indonesia (+5) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Ubud: $182
The village cluster of Ubud is the ideal place to try a famed Balinese massage and soak up the ambience of one of Asia’s top luxury spa destinations. Ubud is also the vivacious centre of Bali’s arts scene, home to a small treasure trove of museums and galleries. If you’re a fan of Asian cuisine book your trip to Ubud May 27-29 2016, and experience innovative chefs and extraordinary local produce at the Ubud Food Festival.
Top 10 Travellers’ Choice Destinations – Australia:
- Sydney, New South Wales (No YoY change) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Sydney: $236
- Gold Coast, Queensland (*New) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Gold Coast: $172
- Melbourne, Victoria (-1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Melbourne: $195
- Brisbane, Queensland (-1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Brisbane: $154
- Cairns, Queensland (-1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Cairns: $134
- Port Douglas, Queensland (-1) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Port Douglas: $188
- Perth, Western Australia (*New) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Perth: $199
- Hobart, Tasmania (-2) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Hobart: $192
- Adelaide, South Australia (No YoY change) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Adelaide: $153
- Noosa, Queensland (-2) TripAdvisor average nightly rate of all bookable hotels in Noosa: $243