Annual 2015/2014 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 32.8 million, up seven percent for the year. Regional results were:
- Europe, 12.6 million travelers, up six percent
- Caribbean, 7.6 million travelers, up seven percent
- Asia, 4.8 million travelers, up seven percent
- Central America, 2.8 million travelers, up four percent
- Middle East, 2.0 million travelers, up 15 percent
- South America, 1.9 million travelers, up six percent
- Oceania, 643,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Africa, 351,000 travelers, down two percent
U.S. travel to North American markets totaled 40.7 million, up nine percent compared to 2014.
- Mexico, a record 28.2 million U.S. travelers, up nine percent. Tourist (longer haul of 14.6 million) travel was the strong suit in 2015, up 15 percent. Border 1+ night travel (13.6 million) increased three percent. U.S. air travel to Mexico (8.0 million) was up 15 percent.
- Canada, 12.5 million travelers, up eight percent year-over-year. Air travel (3.6 million) was up seven percent.
Annual 2015 Market Shares
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of total U.S. outbound travel, about the same as in 2014.
- Europe, a 17 percent share;
- Caribbean, a 10 percent share;
- Asia, a seven percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 38 percent share; and
- Canada, a 17 percent share.
For detailed information and data tables please visit:
In 2011 NTTO (then OTTI) began to report U.S. outbound travel monthly by all modes, expanding beyond air-only traffic. Total travel, inclusive of all modes, to Canada and Mexico is reported in addition to the air-only subtotals. The timing of this report is dependent data from Stats Canada and Banco de Mexico, respectively.
U.S. Department of Commerce
International Trade Administration National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) 1401 Constitution Avenue NW, Room 10003 Washington, D.C. 20230 Phone: (202) 482-0140