August 2015/2014 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets(1) totaled 2.9 million, up seven percent in August and five percent for the year (22.6 million). Regional results for August were as follows:
- Europe, 1.279 million travelers, up eight percent
- Caribbean, 657,000 travelers, up four percent
- Asia, 365,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Central America, 207,000 travelers, up one percent
- Middle East, 168,000 travelers, up 16 percent
- South America, 157,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Oceania, 43,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Africa, 33,000 travelers, down three percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 4.1 million and was up three percent compared to August 2014.
- Canada, 1.9 million travelers, down one percent. Air travel (446,000) was up six percent
- Mexico, 2.2 million travelers, up six percent. Air travel (606,000) was up 17 percent
Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (27.5 million) was up eight percent.
August 2015 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 17 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
- Asia, a six percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, a two percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 37 percent share; and
- Canada an 18 percent share.
For detailed information and data tables please visit: http://travel.trade.gov/view/
NTTO reports U.S. outbound travel monthly by all modes, expanding beyond air-only traffic. Total departure travel, inclusive of all modes, to Canada and Mexico is reported in addition to the air-only subtotals. The timing of this report is dependent on receipt of aggregate data from Stats Canada and Banco de Mexico.