October 2015/2014 Comparisons(1)
U.S. travel to overseas markets totaled 2.4 million, up nine percent in October and six percent for the year (27.7 million). Regional results for the month were as follows:
- Europe, 978,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Caribbean, 477,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Asia, 423,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Central America, 158,000 travelers, up eight percent
- Middle East, 154,000 travelers, up 15 percent
- South America, 139,000 travelers, up 13 percent
- Oceania, 50,000 travelers, up eight percent
- Africa, 25,000 travelers, down two percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 3.0 million and was up 11 percent compared to October 2014. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (33.7 million) was up nine percent.
- Mexico, 2.1 million travelers, up 13 percent in October. Border ‘1+’ night travel up three percent. Tourist (longer haul) travel up 26 percent. Air travel (543,000) was up 34 percent.
- Canada, 911,000 travelers, up six percent. Air travel (296,000) up five percent
October 2015 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 18 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percentshare;
- Asia, a seven percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, a two percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 37 percent share; and
- Canada an 18 percent share.