August 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 3.0 million, up five percent in August and seven percent for the year (24.3 million). Regional results for August were as follows:
- Europe, 1.356 million travelers, up six percent
- Caribbean, 645,000 travelers, down two percent
- Asia, 388,000 travelers, up six percent
- Central America, 218,000 travelers, up five percent
- South America, 178,000 travelers, up 14 percent
- Middle East, 177,000 travelers, up five percent
- Oceania, 52,000 travelers, up 23 percent
- Africa, 32,500 travelers, down two percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 4.4 million and was up six percent compared to August 2015.
- Canada, 1.95 million travelers, up five percent. Air travel (538,000) was up 21 percent
- Mexico, 2.4 million travelers, up six percent. Air travel (636,000) was up five percent
Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (30.3 million) was up nine percent.
August 2016 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locationsaccounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 17 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
- Asia, a six percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, over a two percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received over 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 38 percent share; and
- Canada an 18 percent share.