September 2015/2014 Comparisons(1)
U.S. travel to overseas markets totaled 2.6 million, up 10 percent in September and six percent for the year (25.2 million). Regional results for the month were as follows:
- Europe, 1.357 million travelers, up nine percent
- Caribbean, 403,000 travelers, up 16 percent
- Asia, 358,000 travelers, up six percent
- Middle East, 149,000 travelers, up 12 percent
- Central America, 132,000 travelers, up nine percent
- South America, 129,000 travelers, up 14 percent
- Oceania, 42,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Africa, 29,000 travelers, down two percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 3.1 million and was up 18 percent compared to September 2014. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (30.6 million) was up nine percent.
- Mexico, 1.9 million travelers, up 18 percent in September. Air travel (406,000) was up 33 percent. Border 1+ nights up 10 percent and ‘Tourist’ (longer haul) travel up 29 percent.
- Canada, 1.3 million travelers, up 17 percent. Air travel (342,000) up four percent
September 2015 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 18 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
- Asia, a six percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- South America, a two percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 37 percent share; and
- Canada an 18 percent share.
For detailed information and data tables please visit: http://travel.trade.gov/view/