April 2015/2014 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 2.55 million, up five percent in April and six percent for the year. Regional results were:
- Europe, 926,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Caribbean, 672,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Asia, 404,000 travelers, up six percent
- Central America, 209,000 travelers, down two percent
- Middle East, 146,000 travelers, up three percent
- South America, 126,000 travelers, up three percent
- Oceania, 43,000 travelers, up four percent
- Africa, 25,000 travelers, down 10 percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 2.91 million, up eight percent compared to April 2014.
- Mexico, 2.21 million U.S. travelers, up nine percent; air travel (659,000) was up 13 percent. U.S. to Mexican border traffic (1+ nights, within 40 kilometers) up 12 percent
- Canada, 701,000 travelers, up six percent; air travel (228,000) was up eight percent
Travel to Canada and Mexico was up 10 percent for the year.
April 2015 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 14 percent share;
- Caribbean, a 13 percent share;
- Asia, an eight percent share;
- Central America, a five percent share;
- South America, a three percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 44 percent share; and
- Canada an 11 percent share.
(Note: Easter/Passover occurred April 5 this year vs. April 20, 2014)
For detailed information and data tables please visit: http://travel.trade.gov/view/