June 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 3.96 million, up six percent in June and also seven percent for the year (17.366 million). Regional monthly results were as follows:
- Europe, 1.8 million travelers, up six percent
- Caribbean, 804,000 travelers, up three percent
- Asia, 489,000 travelers, up 12 percent
- Central America, 319,000 travelers, up six percent
- Middle East, 215,000 travelers, up 12 percent
- South America, 203,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Oceania, 58,000 travelers, up seven percent
- Africa, 36,000 travelers, up three percent
U.S. travel to ‘other’ North American markets totaled 4.267 million, up six percent compared to June 2015. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (20.716 million) was up nine percent.
- Mexico, 2.598 million travelers, up six percent; and air travel (898,000) was up 11 percent
- Canada, 1.668 million travelers, up six percent; however, air travel (545,000) was up 24 percent
June 2016 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 46 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 17 percent share;
- Caribbean, a 11 percent share;
- Asia, a seven percent share;
- Central America, a four percent share;
- South America, a three percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost a one percent share
Other North American markets received 54 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 40 percent share; and
- Canada a 14 percent share.