January 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 2.3 million, up nine percent in January.
Regional results were:
- Europe, 615,000 travelers, up five percent
- Caribbean, 589,000 travelers, up five percent
- Asia, 434,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Central America, 259,000 travelers, up 16 percent
- Middle East, 178,000 travelers, up 10 percent
- South America, 154,000 travelers, up 19 percent
- Oceania, 58,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Africa, 27,000 travelers, up six percent
U.S. travel to North American markets totaled 3.0 million, up 10 percent in January.
- Mexico, 2.489 million travelers, up 11 percent; air travel (704,000) was up 15 percent. ‘Tourist’ travels up 14 percent and ‘Border 1+ nights’ up seven percent.
- Canada, 526,000 travelers, up 10 percent; air travel (193,000) up 12 percent
January 2016 Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 43 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 12 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
- Asia, an eight percent share;
- Central America, a five percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 57 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel, up one percentage point from January 2015.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 47 percent share; and
- Canada a 10 percent share.