July 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 3.86 million, up eight percent in July and for the year (21.2 million). Regional monthly results were as follows:
- Europe, 1.65 million travelers, up nine percent
- Caribbean, 891,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Asia, 460,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Central America, 332,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Middle East, 222,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- South America, 199,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Oceania, 59,000 travelers, up 14 percent
- Africa, 42,000 travelers, up five percent
U.S. travel to ‘other’ North American markets totaled 5.2 million and was up 12 percent compared to July 2015. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (25.9 million) was up nine percent.
- Mexico, 2.9 million travelers, up nine percent; and air travel (901,000) was up 14 percent
- Canada, 2.3 million travelers, up 13 percent; air travel (630,000) was up 26 percent
July 2016 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 17 percent share
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share
- Asia, a seven percent share
- Central America, a four percent share
- Middle East, a three percent share
- South America, a three percent share
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
Other North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 38 percent share; and
- Canada a 17 percent share.