Victoria’s top accommodation hotels have been recognised at the 2015 Tourism Accommodation Australia (Victoria) Awards for Excellence, with the winners announced at a gala dinner at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne on ;last night (Thursday 21 May, 2015).
Darryl Washington from TAA (Vic), Shaun D’Cruz from Crown Towers, Marina Caccavari from Fairfax Media, Minister for Sports, Tourism & Major Events John Eren and AHA (Vic) President Peter Burnett
The dinner was attended by 500 accommodation providers and hospitality industry leaders from Tourism Victoria, City of Melbourne, Melbourne Airport, Victorian Major Events Company, Grand Prix Corporation, Melbourne Convention Bureau, Destination Melbourne, Opera Australia, The Arts Centre Melbourne, Public Transport Victoria, Melbourne Star and Melbourne Food & Wine Festival.
The Honourable John Eren, Minister for Tourism and Major Events presented the prestigious TAA (Vic) award for “Outstanding Contribution to the Industry” and the “Hotel Industry Rising Star” award.
The “Outstanding Contribution to the Industry” award recognises a sustained contribution by an accommodation provider or industry leader who has made a significant contribution to Victoria’s tourism and accommodation industries.
The 2015 awardee was Mr Chris Woodruff, Chief Executive Officer Melbourne Airport. In his 8 years as CEO, he has lead the business through a period of remarkable growth and success which has been one of the foundation blocks of Victoria’s tourism success in recent years.
The 2015 awardee was the “Hotel Industry Rising Star” award to the Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong – Duty Manager and Guest Service Agent, Brandon Brown.
Other winners honoured were:
Accommodation Category Award Winners:
- Deluxe Accommodation Hotel of the Year – Crown Towers, Melbourne
- Apartment/Suite Accommodation of the Year – Mantra on Russell, Melbourne
- Superior Accommodation Hotel of the Year – Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens, Melbourne
- Mid-Range Accommodation Hotel of the Year – ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel
- Boutique Style Accommodation of the Year – Adelphi Hotel, Melbourne
- Resort Style Accommodation of the Year – Wyndham Resort Torquay
- Regional Accommodation of the Year – Balgownie Estate Vineyard Retort and Spa, Yarra Glen
Specialty Category – Winners:
- Deluxe Restaurant of the Year – The Langham, Melbourne – Melba
- Hotel Restaurant (all day dining) of the Year – InterContinental Melbourne the Rialto – Alluvial Restaurant
- Regional Hotel Restaurant of the Year – Peppers Mineral Springs Hotel, Hepburn Springs – The Argus Dining Room
- Bar of the Year – The Langham, Melbourne – ARIA Bar & Lounge
Individual Excellence – Winners:
- Administration Employee of the Year – The Langham Melbourne – Glen Ferguson
- Concierge of the Year – Grand Hyatt Melbourne – Chris Fitcher
- Engineer and Maintenance Employee of the Year – Crowne Plaza Melbourne – Robin Power
- Food & Beverage Services Employee of the Year – Stamford Plaza Melbourne – Ketan Seth and The Langham Melbourne – Martin Fearn
- Front Office Services Employee of the Year – Crown Towers, Melbourne – Tom Stewart
- Housekeeping Employee of the Year – PARKROYAL Melbourne Airport, Tullamarine – Christian Tapia
- Hotel Industry Rising Star – Quality Hotel Bayside Geelong – Brandon Brown
- Sales & Marketing Employee of the Year – Rydges Melbourne – Joseph Ancora
Property Performance – Winners:
- Best Environmental & Energy Efficiency Practice – Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, Carlton
- Best Marketed Accommodation Provider – Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Outstanding Achievement in Training – Grand Hyatt Melbourne
- Outstanding Community Service & Achievement – Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Darryl Washington, General Manager of TAA (Vic) praised the finalists, award-winners and individuals who were honoured. “Melbourne and Victoria accommodation providers offer a world class and diverse selection of properties that cater well for our visitors. The industry constantly strives to raise the bar and again this year, the nominated properties, and in particular those that have been honoured at the 2015 TAA (Vic) Accommodation Awards for Excellence emphasise this point. Congratulations to finalists and in particular all winning accommodation providers.”