Virgin Australia’s fifth and final B777-300ER to undergo a complete cabin refit at Chennault International Airport at Lake Charles, Louisiana, flew to Abu Dhabi International Airport on Sunday and begin linking the UAE capital with Sydney yesterday.
The deployment, shown on flight tracking website FlightAware and picked up by Australian Aviation, lets Virgin resume its three-times-a-week Sydney-Abu Dhabi service. The three-class plane departed from Abu Dhabi as VA30 bound for Sydney yesterday. Virgin Australia operates the service in conjunction with alliance partner Etihad Airways.
Virgin Australia suspended its Sydney-Abu Dhabi route in February while it installed its new cabins, including 37 business class suite-seats in the new business class section, which the airline calls “The Business”. The seats are arranged in what’s termed a “reverse herringbone” configuration.
“The Business”, complete with business class bar and lounge, is already flying daily between Sydney and Los Angeles on Virgin Australia’s B777-300ER serving that route. It comes alongside the airlines’ new Economy Space + product in the main cabin.
Key features of ‘The Business’ on Virgin Australia’s Boeing 777-300ER aircraft:
- 37 individual and private suites that convert into the length of a queen size bed at 80 inches;
- Reverse herringbone cabin layout, maximising privacy and enabling 100 per cent direct aisle access in a 1-2-1 configuration;
- Generous side console area providing ample space to work, multitask and store personal items, with the addition of a bedside amenity nook for easy access while resting;
- Customised triple-layer seat cushion supported by a hammock sub-frame and a turndown service with memory foam mattress toppers and high-grade cotton pillows and doonas;
- The largest in-flight entertainment screen flying between Australia andNorth America, with an 18-inch High Definition touch screen;
- Luke Mangan-designed menus paired with premium wines and delivered in a fine dining experience tailored to our guests’ needs through à la carte or Express Dining options;
- New Signature Service elements designed to enhance Virgin Australia’s award-winning service, including a Cocktail and Canapé Service with a choice of Bellini, Kir Royale or Mimosa along with a Luke Mangan-designed canapé plate;
- Virgin Australia’s world-first partnership with Nespresso to be served in ‘The Business’ and at the Business Class Bar and Lounge.
Written by Peter Needham