Thrill-seeking Wet ‘n’ Wild rides, adrenalin-pumping Go Kart action at Eastern Creek, endearingly retro Skyline Drive In Movie experiences (vintage Cadillac style of course) and up-close-and-personal interactions with Australian’s quirky fauna at Featherdale Wildlife Park.
These are just some of the things you’ll find if you take a 45 minute drive west from Sydney’s CBD. This up-and-coming leisure destination boasts an impressive line-up of family-friendly attractions for holiday makers looking for a fresh place to explore this summer.
Of course no getaway would be complete without a great place to rest your head. You can do this in style now thanks to affordable and art-inspired Atura Hotels. Since first opening the doors of its flagship property in Prospect in late 2013, this mid-market, family-friendly hotel has firmly entrenched itself as the premiere accommodation provider in Sydney’s west winning several notable awards including Australia’s Best Mid-Market Hotel at the prestigious 2015 Hotel Management Awards for Excellence.
The flagship property – Atura Blacktown – lies surrounded by gum trees in Prospect and counts amongst its’ Western Sydney parkland neighbours the Cumberland Nature Reserve, Prospect Reservoir, Wet ‘n’ Wild Sydney, the Skyline Drive In and Sydney Motorsport Park at Eastern Creek.
“The Western Sydney Region has experienced a real coming-of-age as a tourism destination over the past few years supported by an increasing number of great activities including Wet ‘n’ Wild. It’s also easy to get to and affordable” said Atura Blacktown’s General Manager Joel Gordon. “With Sydney Zoo opening in the Western Sydney Parklands at Bungaribee in mid-2017 and the opening of the new Western Sydney airport scheduled for 2020, we’re expecting to see tourism to the area really boom over the coming years.”
As the sun prepares to set on another school year, here are just a few of Joel Gordon’s top tips for holiday-makers seeking to add a great big dollop of fun to a Western Sydney escape:
- Prospect Reservoir: Take a bike ride along Sydney’s first aqueducts built in the late 1880’s at the picturesque Prospect Reservoir. The aqueducts wind through the Cumberland Nature Reserve in the Western Sydney parklands at Prospect, the location of William Lawson’s homestead and several significant Aboriginal sites.
- Wet n Wild Sydney: It is thrills and spills a minute at the Southern Hemisphere’s biggest water theme park. For great value accommodation and theme park access see Atura Blacktown’s ‘Get Wet ‘n’ Wild’ package.
- Featherdale Wildlife Park:Hand-feed a kangaroo, wallaby or emu or enjoy a face-to-face encounter with a friendly koala amongst one of Australia’s largest private collections of native animals and bird life. Atura Blacktown’s ‘Furry Fun at Featherdale‘ package includes accommodation and tickets for a family of four.
- Skyline Drive In Movie Theatre: Take a step back in time and enjoy a movie under the stars at the Happy-Days styled Skyline Drive In Movie Theatre. Make a date of it & sleepover at Atura Blacktown afterwards on the ‘Timewarp‘ package which includes accommodation, drive in tickets and breakfast the next morning. Enquire about the ‘Ultimate Timewarp’ which includes use of the Hotel’s convertible Cadillac,
- iFly Indoor Skydiving: Whether you’re 3 or 103, iFLY Indoor Skydiving is the latest thing in action sports. Simply lean forward inside a giant glass tunnel and float effortlessly on a column of air. iFly Indoor Skydiving is located in Penright, just a 25 minute drive from Atura Blacktown.
- Jetpacking at Sydney International Regatta Centre:The ultimate James Bond experience! Strap on a water-powered jetpack, and get a completely different adrenalin-pumping perspective on the world as you fly over the water. The centre is a 35 minute drive from Atura Blacktown.
- Eastern Creek International Karting Raceway: The largest Go Karting complex in the world is located alongside the Sydney Motorsport Park at Eastern Creek, Blacktown. Designed for general public hire, corporate events, domestic and international championships the track boasts numerous track variations for some high-octane, adrenalin pumping fun.
- Treetops Adventure Park Sydney: Excitement and challenge in a stunning natural setting, for kids from 3 to 93. Take a ‘jaunt’ and a fresh take on the nature experience as you walk, fly, leap, climb and swing through the tree-tops. The Treetops Adventure Park is located at Plough & Hallow, which is a 20 minute drive from Atura Blacktown.
- Stonecutters Ridge Golf Course: Intimidating bunkers, challenging greens and impressive water features are just some of the things you can expect to find when playing at this world-class 18-hole championship golf course meticulously designed by Greg Norman. Stonecutters Ridge, which is home to the NSW Golf Open, is available to visiting golfers outside member’s competition times by prior arrangement. See their website for details.
- Blacktown Art Centre: Blacktown Arts Centre (BAC) is an innovative contemporary multi-arts facility located in the Blacktown CBD and it presents a curated program of exhibitions, performances, workshops and events with a primary focus on arts development. It is also home to The Blacktown City Art Prize, Western Sydney’s most prestigious art competition which is now in its 20th year. The exhibition opens on 4th December 2015 and runs until 31 January 2016. Guests wanting to see and/or participate in art-in-creation are invited to attend the Blacktown Art Centre’s Sketch Club which takes place atAtura Blacktown every Saturday afternoon.
- Heritage-listed Royal Cricketers Arms: Enjoy a relaxed meal at one of Sydney’s oldest pubs which first opened to serve the thirst in the late 1880s. The quaint pub has a large beer garden full of beautiful old trees and an outdoor stage for the regular live music acts. The Royal Cricketers Arms backs on to Atura Blacktown at the top of Cricketers Arms Road in Prospect.