Avis Budget Group today released a new report detailing the Company’s various environmental initiatives in place around the world. The report can be viewed or downloaded at avisbudgetgroup.com.
“As a Customer Led, Service Driven Company, we know that our customers, shareholders and employees expect us to be a leader in demonstrating environmental responsibility,” said Ronald L. Nelson, chairman and chief executive officer, Avis Budget Group. “Our focus on substantive efforts ensures that our stakeholders can trust that we are always looking to do the right thing with respect to our use of natural resources.”
The new report reflects the Company’s ongoing commitment to measuring, managing and, where practicable, reducing its impact on the global environment. Key Avis Budget Group initiatives currently in place include:
- Operations: We continue our efforts to establish Environmental Management Systems in accordance with ISO 14001 international standards for key Avis Budget operating locations to measure environmental impacts and implement plans for managing and reducing these impacts.
- Fleet: Avis and Budget offer customers a variety of vehicles that are environmentally friendly including electric vehicles, natural gas-powered vehicles, gas/electric hybrid vehicles, as well as “green vehicles” in the United States as defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay Certification program. Currently, nearly one-third of the Company’s car rental fleet in the United States is SmartWay Certified. Certain vehicles, such as the Hyundai Elantra and the Kia Rio, are rated at 40 miles per gallon (highway) or better.
- Outreach: We are committed to partnering with our commercial accounts to help them measure, manage and ultimately reduce the environmental impact of their business travel. We offer our corporate customers detailed data on the greenhouse gas emissions from their travelers’ use of our fleet vehicles as well as educational materials and tailored carbon offsetting solutions to aid their own sustainability efforts. We also offer carbon-offset programs through which customers can make their Avis or Budget rental 100 percent carbon-neutral.
- Compliance: We aim to meet or voluntarily exceed the requirements of all national, state, provincial and local health, safety and environmental protection laws.
- Reduction: We look to limit our use of natural resources wherever practicable, including by recycling water, oil, tire rubber, paper, plastic and other materials. In cases where further reduction cannot be achieved without disruption to operations, we seek to provide carbon-offsetting programs to help neutralize greenhouse gas emissions.
“Through these initiatives, we have improved the environmental profile of our fleet and reduced our consumption of natural resources,” said Mr. Nelson. “Through our ‘continuous improvement’ approach, we remain committed to further managing and reducing our environmental impact in 2012 and beyond.”